MSA Announcement: College support staff on strike
As of the writing of this message, there is a support staff strike across the province.
Although the front line support staff have gone on a legal strike, management and contract employees will be attempting to keep the college open. Classes and Orientation will continue as planned.
The Mohawk Students’ Association is in constant contact with college management and we ask you to monitor www.mohawkSTUDENTS.ca to keep up to date on the strike.
Please understand that you will be required to cross a picket line to get on campus.
The following are points and procedures to follow for those of you who have never experienced this before;
- Strikers will be present daily at all entrances from 7 am to 7pm Monday to Friday.
- Respect strikers and expect delays. They will block all entrances and will allow access slowly on campus.
- Be patient and come early if at all possible.
- Do not engage in negative conversations with strikers. Listen to them then proceed onto campus.
- Under no circumstances, get aggressive or move your vehicle through a picket line until told to do so by strikers.
- HSR will not cross the line which means that temporary bus stops will be set up to allow students access.
We urge you to visit the Mohawk Students’ Association office at your campus (Fennell G109, Elgin B101, STARRT A121, IAHS Room105) should you have any questions or contact our main office at 905-575-2393.
We are confident that this strike will be settled soon and we ask for your patience during this time.